Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Rediscovering

For years journaling has helped me to cope with challenges and emotions I didn't want to deal with. Through the most difficult parts of my life I've always kept journals, and always carefully hid them, keeping them as a secret haven for my emotions. As a teenager I realized the power of private writing, but as a young adult with with a full time job and other commitments, I haven't really kept a journal, and quite frankly haven't thought much about writing until recently.

In mid October conversations with a friend prompted me to take on a challenging "little" writing project. In working on that project the past month and a half I've rediscovered the power of writing, and come to appreciate the act of writing more than ever. I've embraced the challenge of writing again.

Being more ambitious with my writing than in the past, I'm also trying to embrace the challenge of sharing what I write. Much of my writing in the past has been closely guarded with shrouds of secrecy, and what I did let people see was often the meaningless drivel kind of writing I didn't really put myself into.

So this blog is where I'm attempting to really write - not to write to meet an agenda, not to write the meaningless drivel my attempts at writing fiction always turn into, not to write what I think people want to read, but to really write. Here is where I plan to write what I need to write, because I've realized I do have stories to tell, I can really write, and there is a point to writing.

1 comment: