Sunday, December 28, 2008

Hello My Name is ????

Sunday School was interesting today. I was scheduled to teach the children's class, but there was only one child, so the eight year old and I stayed with the one adult class (which also had very light attendance today). The five of us - me, my parents, the eight year old, and her dad - watched the five minute NOOMA video that the adult class was to be discussing.

The video was ironically timed for me. Lately I've been struggling over who I am and what I believe, how others see me and how I want to identify myself. Questioning my beliefs has led to questioning the essences of who I am. I've taken personality tests, poured my heart out on paper, and struggled to write honestly, all in hopes of understanding me just a little better. The video we watched was about just that: finding and claiming your true identity - your name and who you really are - under all the labels.

I was intrigued by the image of everyone in the video taking off layers of shirts, each with a different label to reveal that they all had simply "name" on their backs, as the video talked about your name being who you are. After watching the video we had a great discussion on names, labels, identities, and people pretending to be things they're not. Though I'm still seeking out who I am it was a neat class.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting Beth. I love reading your thoughts and ideas. It seems to me learning our identities is a life long search and we chang too, as we go through life and have curves thrown at us. Keep on writing about your ramblings. Grandma

    ReplyDelete