Thursday, February 19, 2009

If I'm You

If I'm You
to the beautiful person who inspired this poem.

Caught in the tangle of life,
afraid to be judged,
desperate to be understood,
hiding in layers,
keeping out,
even best intentioned.

Does that sound stupid?
I laugh at myself.
Pretend it's a joke,
and no one will know,
it hurts when you laugh,
and say that's silly.

"No, I get it."
not even a laugh.

Understanding wraps around me,
like the hug I need.
Some way,
some how,
you break the layers.

Relief floods me,
knowing someone
knows me.

I wonder how
you know me,
understand me,
when I don't even understand me,

"Because you're me"
you say.

If I am you,
I hope someday,
someone,
admires me,
as much as I
admire you.

1 comment:

  1. ... I think I may be nearly speechless for the first time ever ...

    thank you, and yes, you are.

    ReplyDelete