Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Honest Nights

I haven't even tried to write poetry in years. I like poetry - when I "get" it - but I've never thought I could write poetry. I used to try, but with about one exception in my life, I never thought I was very good at it. Before I'd graduated high school I'd put poetry on my list of things not worth wasting time on, but late last night I got some inspiration for a poem, and, since I'm trying to embrace the challenge of writing, I actually put it on paper today.


Honest Nights

Shrouded in silence
I sit and listen.
Keys click softly,
breath's a whisper.
Noises unheard in the light,
echo softly in the night.

Go to bed,
my tired eyes say.
I savor the silence,
just a little more.
Wrapped in the stillness of night,
most honestly I write.

In the middle of the night,
my thoughts and feelings
spill upon the page.
I write furiously to say,
things not put to paper in the day.

If only sleep were optional,
I wouldn't have to stop my pen,
when late at night,
I find my voice with honesty to write.

4 comments:

  1. OMG, Didn't I tell you that you had an inner poet just dying to escape? This is FANTASTIC, and I am SO PROUD OF YOU!!! I can't stop gushing! :) :) :) :) :) And on this elated note, I shall succumb to the solace and solitude of slumber... no more writing tonight for me. I have to sleep. G'night world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh so relateable (is that even a word?)! I feel like it's my own world when everything is quiet and I'm up all alone. Night is a great motivator :D

    You should definitely keep at the poetry; this is so nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nean - Yeah, you did tell me, I guess I just needed the right motivation to believe it :-) Surprisingly I'm proud of myself too!

    Fallon - Relateable should be a word :-) Late at night really is the best time to write, but unfortunately some of us actually have to get up and go to work in the morning, so it really sucks to feel most inspired to write at 1AM.

    Thank you both for the compliments. Since I've gotten back into writing I can't imagine why I ever stopped or convinced myself I wasn't any good at it....

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW.....I love it.
    I just now read your poetry written several days ago. I really enjoy reading anything you write so keep at it.

    ReplyDelete