Monday, March 2, 2009

Writing to God

Earlier I asked my frequently annoying cousin to guess what I wrote yesterday, and one of the things she guessed was a love letter. Somewhat take back I told her I didn't have anyone to write a love letter to. She said I should still write a love letter "just to experiment" and than she challenged me to write a love letter to God. Even as I told her I didn't think I could I knew I would try it, just because I can't resist a challenge....

So I'm not really sure if it's a love letter, perhaps psalm would be a better word for it, but here is what I wrote:

Letter to God

Dear God,
My words are too small,
for your magnificence.

I am but a child,
young,
naive,
unworthy of you,
and yet your love is greater,
than my bravest dreams.

The touch of your breath in my hair,
sends shivers down my spine,
I delight in your power.

You send the sun to shine upon me,
my whole being comes alive,
at the touch of your warmth.

You walk with me in the woods,
I inhale your scent.

I dance childishly in your presence,
yet you sing to my soul,
begging my spirit to commune,
with the world you created

You come to me in the darkness of night,
whispering to me,
awakening my inner most desires,
calming my fears,
with quiet assurances,
of your love.

You pierce my heart with desire,
to care for you in the smallest,
most broken around me,
even as I feel too small,
too broken myself,
to offer my own hand.

When my heart aches to be understood,
you are but an invitation away,
waiting for the chance to touch me again.

Be with me,
I want to feel your presence,
be wrapped in your arms,
touched with your love,
undeserving as I am,
I want to be yours,
always.

2 comments:

  1. 1. I AM annoying, aren't I? LOL

    2. I suggest stuff like this exactly BECAUSE I know you can't resist a challenge.

    3. HOLY COW! You go girl! You told me you weren't a poet, and yet your poems breathe wisdom and music from your soul. You told me you weren't a fiction writer, and yet your current fiction WIP blows my mind with truth and relevance. You told me you weren't a romantic writer, but your praise to the Lover of your soul amazes me with its depth of passion.

    Please, please, please... stop saying you CAN'T do things. You know I'll only prove you wrong with a simple challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. YES!

    2. :-P

    3. Do you really think all that of my writing?

    I've yet to see a simple challenge from you, but you can keep proving me wrong (not that I could stop you from trying), as long as you'll listen to me ranting when I "can't" write.

    ReplyDelete